Where to start


You can choose to start with the theses tabs at the top for an overview.

And you might enjoy my (cheap) bathroom reader book, Treasure Trove in Passing Vessels

And don't miss my Hurricane Katrina blog.



Saturday, October 10, 2015

Is hell temporary or forever?

A renowned evangelical theologian, the late John Stott, decided in his advancing age that those who do not renounce their sins by the blood of Jesus will be annihilated instead of spending eternity in hell. Seventh Day Adventists believe this as well.

Two Adventists attended my Bible study at the Corps of Engineers. I asked my Bible-teacher dad what I should say to the Adventists.

"Say nothing," he said. "They may be right.

What???

Here's my conclusion: this is a troubling doctrine we should approach with the utmost caution. I dare not be wrong about it. Below is a scholarly defense of an eternal hell. While I am both happy to disagree, thus letting others "tickle my ears," I dare not. I rely on what scripture says, which I believe the late Dr. Dallas Willard sums up brilliantly:

Does believing all the right doctrines get you into Heaven? [I would interject that Satan knows all the right doctrines]. No, says Willard, as important as they are.

What gets you into Heaven, Willard summarizes, is this:

Trusting Jesus to assist you in living your life as He would live it if He were you.

J.I. Packer's* scholarly response to Stott is HERE

*I've known two beloved pastors who died of Lou Gehrig's disease, Tommy Paino and Marc Pearson. J.I. Packer was one of Marc's favorite authors, highly recommending Packer's Knowing God.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment