Where to start


You can choose to start with the theses tabs at the top for an overview.

And you might enjoy my (cheap) bathroom reader book, Treasure Trove in Passing Vessels

And don't miss my Hurricane Katrina blog.



Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Unity, liberty, charity - what about a portal?

The heart of Romans 14-15 is captured in this great and fairly well-known statement:
 
In essentials unity;
In non-essentials liberty;
    In all things charity.
 
I just don't want to get wrapped around the axle over minor issues that don't make any difference.
 
In his excellent book, Deadline, Randy Alcorn speculates that one of his characters, having arrived in Heaven, is told by his guardian angel on rare occasions to look through a portal to a special happening or a target of God for salvation on earth. 

A friend argued equivalently that "there are no portals."
 
I think we get too dogmatic over items that have no bearing on our conduct. 
 
I asked my friend how she can be so sure.
 
"Because it's not in the Bible."
 
There are a lot of things not in the Bible that are nonetheless true: the word "Trinity" comes to mind.
 
Hymn: 
Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling
Calling for you and for me
See on the portal He's waiting and watching
Watching for you and for me.
 
Come home, come home
Ye who are weary, come home
Earnestly, tenderly Jesus is calling
Calling, all sinners come home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment